Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kale and Potato Soup

kale and potato soup

Even though the weather outside still can't decide if it's summer or fall, I have deemed it soup season in my kitchen lol. That and soup is just so easy to make in a pinch at home. Today, I went with a kale and potato soup that my mom read about in the newspaper back when she lived in Tucson. I think she said it was called something like "Portuguese  Kale Soup" but I'm not too sure of the ethnic origin of the linguica, kale, and potato combination so I'm just going to leave out the Portuguese labeling. Speaking of my mom, this soup will always remind me of how my dad likes to recount how my mom went in search of linguica at the supermarket and when she asked a store clerk to help her out she completely confused him by asking him for help finding the "Leticia" sausage. What I found even more amusing was my dad said he thought nothing of it until  a few minutes later when he realized "Leticia" is a woman's name, not a sausage lol. Also, thank goodness the store clerk figured out linguica from Leticia otherwise we would have been in trouble for dinner that day.

I really enjoy this soup with a side of crusty bread for dipping. The linguica is key to the flavoring of the soup as is the chicken stock and the kale some texture to the soup as well as color. This is pretty versatile and I can imagine putting other ingredients into it as well but today I went with linguica, kale, potato, onion, and white kidney beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment