Friday, July 3, 2009

Red Velvet Cake in a Cone!

I don't remember where I first saw this but I remember thinking cakes in cones was a brilliant idea :D That and having never made red velvet cake before, I had a project on my hands XD They were so easy to make and unlike many ice cream cones where you're left with cone and..air towards the bottom, there was cake allll the way down! The only thing I regret was not having sprinkles to top off the little cones :)

Sadly, I don't remember what adjustments I made for time and/or temperature (it was over a year ago >_<) so definitely check your cake if you're using this recipe...or refer to the original recipe linked below and adjust from there, sorry!

Red Velvet Cupcake in a cone

Red Velvet Cake Cone
adapted from allrecipes

Ingredients

Ice cream cones (sorry I don't remember how many!)
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Directions

1. Stand ice cream cones in a regular muffin pan, using aluminum foil to support the cones and prevent them from falling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Cream shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar WELL. Add eggs and beat well.

3. Make a paste of cocoa and red food coloring. Add to creamed mixture. Mix salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla and buttermilk together. Add alternately the flour with the milk mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix soda and vinegar and FOLD INTO CAKE BATTER. DON'T BEAT OR STIR NOW.

4. Pour batter into cones,leaving about a centimeter between the batter and the brim of the cone. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

5. While cones cool, prepare dipping chocolate or candy to decorate cones. Once cones are cooled, dip the top of the cake into the melted chocolate or candy and decorate as you like :)

1 comment:

  1. Cake in a cone is SO good...I remember eating this at birthday parties when I was little. Hope you are getting through Institute okay! Let me know how things are going and keep on baking!

    ReplyDelete