Friday, July 24, 2009

Fudgy Brownies

This recipe turned out quite well for me. I think I made these twice last year! The only caveat for me was that they were just right bite sized otherwise I found the sweetness too much to handle..of course in general I'm finding I can't handle sweet in large doses anymore (darned aging!). So far, I don't think I've found a brownie recipe that tops these (yet!). Although I'm still looking to try out more. I think what I'm missing now is the right time/temp to make a chewy brownie. Mmm..so much to experiment with when I finish institute in August!

Brownies

Brownies

Fudgy Brownies
from Baking Bites

Ingredients

8 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 400F and line and 8-inch square metal baking pan with foil.
Melt the butter and the chocolate together, on top of a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring often until smooth.

2. Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add nuts, if using.

3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, prepare a water bath. Fill a large roasting pan with water and ice about 1 inch deep.

5. When the brownies are done - and they will look a bit dry on top - take them immediately from the oven and place in the water bath. Add more ice to the water if necessary. Allow to cool completely in the bath before removing the pan and cutting the brownies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment