Friday, January 23, 2009

Lazy Friday

I had planned to wake up early, get my paper done, and get cracking on readings for next week's classes. Of course, things never go as planned for me since my inherent laziness takes over and what ended up happening was I woke up around 8:30, browsed food blogs, watched some variety shows I downloaded, finished my paper 3 hours before it was due, browsed more food blogs, watched more variety shows on youtube, and then ate dinner. In that order. I had to do something that .. wasn't watching things on my computer, so of course I decided to bake! I had leftover cinnamon sugar from making the palmiers last week so I naturally decided to make snickerdoodles :) I love these cookies. They come out soft and so delicious!

I've used this recipe before so I know they turn out well. This time I tweaked the method just a little bit since the cinnamon sugar mix I had on hand was heavier on the sugar side than cinnamon. The cookies turned out with a light hint of cinnamon with a soft center and slightly crispy and chewy sides, mm delicious! On most days, I usually prefer the stronger cinnamon flavor in snickerdoodles, but today the light flavor really hit the spot :) I was probably just looking for a sweet end to the day lol! The only thing I'd try differently next time is to use all butter and no shortening.

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla.
3. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt in a separate bowl and then mix into the wet ingredients. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
3. Mix the 4 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture and then roll balls between your hands again. Roll balls one more time in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
4. Bake 8 minutes or until set but not too hard. Be careful to not underbake these cookies. Let cookies sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing to a rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment