Saturday, January 17, 2009

Celery...cookies?

So F suggested that I try making cookies with celery a while back and I've been stewing over ways to infuse celery into cookies. The first thought was to try making a sugar cookie with celery in it. My first thought was to use some sort of celery extract or juice in the dough itself and then roll balls of dough in a celery infused sugar before baking. It all sounded nice and pretty in my head, but upon trying to create this masterpiece, I discovered things don't go as well as planned all the time :X The celery sugar turned out very light in the celery flavor and I hadn't realized that I don't have a food processor, juicer, or blender to extract the liquid from the celery, so I ended up making a celery syrup by boiling celery in water and sugar. The result was a sweet syrup with a semi-strong celery flavor that came after the sweet, but that celery flavor wasn't strong enough to come out through the dough. I didn't anticipate that and even reduced the amount of sugar from the original sugar cookie recipe to accommodate for the syrup. Needless to say this was a complete failure. There was no celery flavor to the cookies, and they were not as sweet as regular sugar cookies. In fact, most of what I tasted was vegetable oil (bleh). Next time I'll stick to tampering with a recipe that I've tried before and stay away from oil :X Also, I'll wait till I have access to some sort of juice extracting contraption before thinking about making more celery cookies. Either that or I'll start experimenting with celery seeds...

celery cookies

2 comments:

  1. omg, nice try anyway! maybe you can blend the celery and strain it to use as a paste or something next time. :T

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about celery seeds?

    ReplyDelete