Monday, November 26, 2012

Okonomiyaki Party!

my first homemade okonomiyaki!
Well, to be honest it was more like an okonomiyaki (also known as "Japanese pizza" by some) making party for me, and games and socializing for everyone else lol. I can't help but enjoy my time in the kitchen while listening to people having a good time in the next room.

tonjiru
Anyhow, I decided on making okonomiyaki for our gathering of friends after Thanksgiving because I selfishly wanted to make something comforting but Asian after making a big traditional(ish) Thanksgiving dinner a few days before. Surprisingly okonomiyaki is incredibly easy to make and I am a little sad I didn't get any other ingredients to mix in. Perhaps next time I'll get some mochi and mentaiko or cheese :) I think adding in the grated nagaimo is definitely key as it made the batter pretty gooey which translated into some good texture when eating. I also made a big pot of tonjiru (literally pork soup) to go with dinner. Tonjiru reminds me of the fall and I remember having bowls of it outside at some community event at the Board of Education back when I was living in Japan. Again, comforting, nostalgic, and tasty. Can't go wrong with that combination :) I'm sad I didn't take a photo of the entire table as others also contributed to the gluttony that happened yesterday. We had King Egg Rolls, muddy buddies, a giant smoked turkey leg, biscuits, and cake! I also appreciated how my friends finished off the last 1/3 of my apple pie that was in the fridge as well. I look forward to Christmas now and the next excuse I have to turn my kitchen inside out and cook up a storm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment