Sunday, June 7, 2009

Very, very fudgy brownies

top!

I wanted to make brownies for the high school boys who donated their time to help me make a video for my interview, so I decided to turn to the Field Guide to Cookies. The prep was simple and the whole process incredibly easy but the result...I baked them for 25 minutes and the center was pretty much not set and still quite jiggly while the edges were browned and pretty done. Since fudgy brownies usually aren't all completely set when their done baking, I thought I'd let them cool and see. But even after they cooled, the center pretty much looks like...half baked brownies...which I guess can be good? I..think I'm definitely a fan of...brownies that are done though. I had to leave after baking these, so I ended up putting them back into the oven after I came back so my time is only an approximate, and they're still quite fudgy. I might try fiddling with the temp and bake time next time, or keep trying other recipes.

edge piece
edge piece- these were more done than the middle, but still quite fudgy

too undercooked for me..
middle- much too underdone for me =/

Brownies
adapted from Field Guide to Cookies

3 oz unsweetened chocolate
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 room temperature eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9-in square pan.

2. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a microwave.

3. Mix sugar into chocolate mixture and let it cool.

4. Whisk eggs and vanilla extract into mixture until smooth.

5. Add flour and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.

6. Pour mixture into pan and level off with a spatula or a knife.

7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway. Bake until the top is brown and flaky. You will also want to check for your desired consistency with a toothpick test.

8. Cool on a wire rack completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment