Friday, May 15, 2009

Candied Orange Peels

Mmmm I love candied orange peels! They're chewy and sweet with a slight tart note to them. These are so easy to make and so easy to distribute and share too! I've made these a couple of times, and in this instance, I covered them before they dried, so the sugar dissolved quite a bit..so please don't do imitate that ^_^;; I also made some and dipped them in melted mint chocolate, which I wasn't too fond of..the mint flavor was overpowering and the lovely orange flavor was lost -__-; Perhaps a regular dark chocolate would have been better! All in all, I love these as they are, and I can assure you most of my friends who've tried these enjoy them as well :)

Candied Orange Peels

Candied Orange Peel
from Baking Bites

Ingredients

6 medium oranges
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups sugar
a lot of water

Directions

1. Cut peel of each orange in sixths; loosen from pulp with spoon and remove most pith (white membrane) from peel. Add salt and peel to 4 cups of water and let stand overnight.

2. Drain and rinse thoroughly.

3. In a pot, cover peels with cold water. Heat to boiling and then drain. Repeat 3 times (this is to remove any bitter taste).

4. Cut peel into strips. In sauce pan, combine peel, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until peel is translucent. Drain any liquid and roll peel in granulated sugar. Allow to dry.

5. If desired (and we did), melt dark or bittersweet chocolate over double boiler and dip each dried strip in. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.

2 comments:

  1. These look like something I'd want to bring to class and munch on...for the whole three hours! Have you ever seen Orangette's blog? Her blog is named after something similar to these. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were definitely addicting and definitely an easy way to make use of orange peels lol. I'll definitely check out Orangette's blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete