Friday, April 10, 2009

Sugarless Lemon Yogurt Cake

Since I have a whole bunch of recipes I've made last year, I thought I'd start posting them on a weekly basis. Especially since I don't have a lot of time to bake new things currently.. So hopefully I'll be able to keep this up and get all caught up on posting :D

My dad's diabetic so when I'm at home, I try to experiment with sugarless recipes. He's always jealous when I make regular baked goods so I have to put in some effort :X I'm not a fan of baking with splenda because I think it has an aftertaste that I just do not enjoy. This cake still had that aftertaste, but it was nice and moist from the yogurt and the applesauce. I made this cake a loong time ago, so I don't remember exactly how long I baked it for, since I baked it in a loaf pan and not as cupcakes, so I'll just post the original recipe here ^_^; I also replaced the cranberries with fresh blueberries when I made this.

"Redsie's Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes (Light Version)" from recipezarr

"Redsie's Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes (Light Version)" from recipezarr

Redsie's Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes (Light Version)
from recipezaar

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour, plus
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
1/4 cup butter (or 25% reduced-fat butter, melted and cooled)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup egg substitute (or 1 egg)
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, plain
2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup cranberries

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F and use muffin pan, lined with paper liners.

2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, applesauce and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest and juice and lemon extract, beating until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Fold in cranberries.

4. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.

5. Top cooled cupcakes with your favorite icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment