Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rolled Cabbage

I made this a couple of weeks back and never got around to posting it :X Anyway, I was feeling a little nostalgic for Japan (again) and busted out my DS Oryouri Navi and looked for something to make. Since I had both cabbage and ground pork in the fridge, I settled on rolled cabbage! I didn't have this too often in Japan, but it seemed popular and I'd had seen it on tv as well so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I rather enjoyed my rolls lol. I ended up freezing the extra ones and then cooked them without the addition of ketchup the second time and I think I prefer that version, but I'll have to give them both a second try.

Rolled Cabbage, Japanese style

Rolled Cabbage, Japanese style

Ingredients

For the filling:
120g ground beef and pork mix
1/4 onion
4g butter
1/2 egg
1/4c panko
1/4c milk
pinch nutmeg
pinch salt
pinch pepper

4 Cabbage leaves, boiled
1 strip bacon, sliced
2g bouillon
2c water
1/2tbsp flour
1tbsp oil
3tbsp ketchup
pinch salt
pinch pepper

1. Mix the panko and the milk together and let the panko soak up the liquid.
2. Dice the onion.
3. Fry the onion in the butter until lightly browned.
4. Beat the egg in a medium bowl and then add the panko and milk mixture as well as the rest of the filling ingredients. Mix well and then divide into 4 portions.
5. Sprinkle a little salt on the cabbage leaves and then wrap the filling in each leaf. Use a toothpick to keep the rolls closed.
6. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add the oil. Fry the bacon until cooked.
7. Dissolve the bouillon in the 2 cups of water. Add the cabbage rolls into the pan and then the water and bouillon mix. Simmer the rolls on low for about 30 minutes, while removing any scum that forms.
8. Add a little salt, pepper, and the ketchup to the pan and mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment