Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Grad Student on Valentine's Day

Another Valentine's Day has come and gone and this year, I didn't have any time or people to make and distribute Valentine's goodies to this year. Prior to moving to Japan, I never really cared about V-day but having been immersed in all the fanfare and chocolate madness that dominates the Japanese market the weeks before V-day for two years, I've grown somewhat fond of the holiday. There's just something great about making cute little chocolates and cakes for the people in your life, particularly the ones that you like haha. In any case, this year, I ended up having tons of stuff to do over the weekend and in an attempt to focus on my work, I decided that I wouldn't make anything. But towards the end of the day, I really did want something chocolate. The only thing that came to mind that would be quick and appease the craving was this one mug chocolate cake recipe that my friend's mother sent me in a recipe exchange. It is really easy to make, and even though it's made in the microwave, it's not too bad. I say it's rather perfect for the graduate student life lol. I cut the cake into pieces and drizzled a little chocolate icing on top for mine :)

mug cake!
fresh out of the microwave

mug cake

Mug Cake

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug


Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little and tip out onto a plate if desired.

3 comments:

  1. how dare you call me a slacker? and...who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also...

    a) can you make anything vegan?

    b) are you in/near san francisco? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @broken ladder
    i..i don't recall calling you a slacker :X

    and to answer your questions
    a) I haven't really tried making vegan recipes, but I will try any vegan recipes I come across that perk my interest.

    b) I am currently not anywhere near SF but I am originally from the bay area :)

    ReplyDelete